Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Four For Forty


The state of California has been cutting college classes left and right making it more difficult for students like myself to obtain a degree so that we can "make this a better place." At Grossmont College we had a lab class available for students to register for, this would cover Fridays and Saturdays lab time for a lot of classes.
These classes were cut in the fall semester of 2011.
Somehow, my photography instructor found a way to get the photo labs open for four days. For those four days students had to pay one flat fee of $40.00.
My instructor knew that I was double majoring in Graphic Design and Photography. She asked me to create a flyer for the new lab days, so I created the image above.
I loved the image so much that I knew I had to finish them as separate pieces. This would be a chance for me to unite the world of the "Darkroom" with the world of the "Lightroom." Photographers working together for the sake of photography. No more "Digital is for cheaters." or "Film is annoying to work with." Artists working their craft together... or just to get the assignments done so they can graduate. Either way I was all in, anything to support the arts.





















"The Light Side"
Adobe Illustrator CS3

"The Light Side" of course meaning working on a computer, the lights are on, no negatives. The stuff written on the board are things that I learned while in my photo classes. "Photo-Chop" is a term that my instructor uses constantly for Adobe Photoshop.























"The Dark Side"
Adobe Illustrator CS3

"The Dark Side" is pretty obvious, a dark room, the lights are off with the exception of a safety light, lots of negatives. I based the interior off of the black and white darkroom that we have in Grossmont College. I meant for the "character" to be just any background person as a silhouette like in most mid century art, but my instructor has claimed her as herself, I'm sure she's only joking.




 

"Photo Lab"
Adobe Illustrator CS5


This year I was asked again to make another flyer for the Spring 2012 classes. I was inspired by Kodak for the "Instamatic" looking camera and the 110 film cartridge. As for the DSLR I used my Nikon D60 for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment